Saturday, November 1, 2014

Random snippets from recently


 Stuff that transmitted recently...a rambling mess, as there are huge parts missing.

Unedited.  

Expect nothing of me.  


**
*
*



No matter where I went in life, I was used to traveling alone.  Across galaxies, over oceans, over land...nobody ever could keep up with my intensity of momentum.  Or at least, even if they tried, they didn't succeed.  I’d left more hapless but earnest adventurers eating my dust then I cared to recollect.   My employers always knew that I worked alone.  Pairing me with anyone on a mission was always destined to be a bad idea.   I wasn’t known as a friendly guy, and I didn't give a shit either way about what anyone thought of me.  I knew I was selfish, and I was completely okay with it.  Selfish was self-preservation.  Selfish had kept me alive more times than I could count.  With only myself to rely on, I could smash obstacles out of the way and take any risk that I pleased.  With only myself to look after, I was free to do whatever I wished, live however I liked. And the pitiful fools that had the misfortune of being partnered with me throughout the years had never been able to keep up.    I was too hard, too fast and too tough.  And that was the way I liked it.  It kept everyone off my back.  It kept me moving.  

 It kept me free.  Free to travel from one planet to the next, doing what I did best.  Which was disposing of all the psychic trash of the universe.  What could I say?  It was a gift.  Something I knew how to do, and I did it well.  And the only people who liked me were people who wanted to pay me to do their dirty work.  Slayers weren’t a dime a dozen anymore.  My value was listed in the bodies I’d managed to tally over the years.  Bodies of psions from star cluster to star cluster.  Stacks of them, all killed because they were too powerful to let live.   Too much of a risk for humanity to endure.   And truth be told, nothing I liked better than cutting them all down.   Bathing my blade in the blood of psionic monsters was a dirty, dangerous job, but somebody had to do it.  

And that someone was me. 

But occasionally, when I went to sleep at night, I didn’t like it much.  When the nightmares of a thousand psychic battles surged in the starless night, I woke up dripping with sweat, teeth grinding.  So many psions had tried to kill me and I’d come so close to death so many times that I told myself I was just a little paranoid.  But that was the thing about psi energy.  Once it touched you in the way it touched me, you’d never be the same again.    I told myself I had no choice, that humanity and psionic energy could not coexist.  It was impossible.  The proof had been what had happened to Earth. 
                Or what was left of it, after the Demise of Eden.   

*
*


….the most extreme ordeal I’d ever gone through. 

*
*

                Duaire had told me of the psionic signal the Witnesses had sensed.  Because of the risky proximity of the object to the central singularity of the Milky Way Galaxy, the Witnesses feared that whatever object it was pulled energy from the super black hole for its psionic purposes.  It read like a psionic black hole, instead, on all the paraformic radars.  

                The sheer density of the object would erode the minds of any sentient creature who dared to venture near it…or at least the Witnesses theorized.   Whether the energy signature ventured forth from the black hole, or if it had yet to enter, the big concern was of a psionic frequency of such magnitude intersecting with Sagittarius A, the Milky Way’s super massive black hole.  They were quite concerned that the universe would not withstand the effects of such a mingling.  

                They considered me something of an expert on psionic phenomenon, having served in the armies of Earth and my role in the Demise of Eden.   The Demise had left Earth in shambles.  But I still called it home.   I did all of my gambling, my drinking and my fucking on the decrepit old planet’s war-blasted and crumbling cities.  It was where I went when I wanted to become nobody again.   Where people were too screwed in the head to notice you too had gone crazy a long time ago.  You could become just another anonymous fuck up.   Besides the tourist sites chronicling the Demise, Earth’s southern hemisphere lived on because the only people who would live in such a broken world were broken people.   And they arrived in hoards to find a place in the universe that could relate to them.  Or to escape a life rather not known.   

*
*

                Earth is broken.  And so are her people.   

 *
*
                “Go see what this signal is….”   

*
*

                So I left, with no more thought then, “easy money…”  
*
*

                “I don’t know what it is, it’s a planet, it’s a living hollow world, it’s a biosphere…I don’t know what it is.  But I’ve never seen anything like this before.” 

                “Is that where the signal is coming from?” 

                “I’m not sure where the signal is coming from.   I can’t tell if it’s an object, or a person, or an energy field.   But it is coming from this point by point sector.  I’m a little worried about what’s inside this thing.”  


*
*
                Of course they had wanted me to find out.  

*
*

                And now I stared down on the massive globe, which for all intensive purposes looked like an asteroid, except for the fact that its surface sprawled with massive vines that were visible from space.   There was no idea what the mass could be, except that it looked alien.  

No comments:

Post a Comment