Friday, September 12, 2014

Welcome to Life with Two Kids.



Wow.  What to say.  Well, first off...initially I thought that having two kids wouldn't be much different then having one kid.  But it is.  Much, much different.  You learn a whole other set of skills when you have ANOTHER little human being relying on you, almost as much if not more then the first one.  Patience is at a premium.  It is VITAL to go with the flow and not have as many expectations.  It is super important (more then ever) to practice gentle discipline and tolerance for your firstborn.  You DO NOT want to get into a power struggle with the toddler while you're dealing with a newborn.  In fact I would say that's the last thing you'd want to do...when everyone is adjusting to life with two children. 

I'm learning all this through trial and error, by the way, which is pretty much how I do things in life. 

But when it comes to my children, the trial and error process can be harrowing.  Mistakes are made and all I can do is learn from them and move on and strive for even better next time.  Eventually though, it clicks and I get it down, I understand what to do.  I'm a quick study when it comes to the extreme highs and crushing lows of the parenthood journey. But to master this new dynamic, I have to go through this trial and error process.  It ain't easy. 

You see, with one child, my son...I thought I had it all figured out already.  I would go to sleep at night feeling like I knew what I was doing, and that I was an awesome parent and had my shit together.  Our days ran according to schedule, like a well-oiled machine.  Nothing jolts your sense of routine like the arrival of another baby.  Nothing makes you question your approach to parenting or life in general like the arrival of another precious child in your heart, and in your home.  And OH WOW.  Now I see I didn't have a clue.  Add a new person's energy into the mix, and you will see new sides to EVERYONE in your family.   Interesting new dynamics have been BORN!  It's interesting, thrilling and also yes, harrowing; that's the right word.  It's intense ups and intense downs and you feel like things are coming together and straightening out, only to have it all dissolve into absolute chaos when you least expect it.

It doesn't help that with a newborn, you aren't sleeping enough...so your nerves are already quite frayed.  

That just adds to the fun I guess.  

 I am learning new things about myself every single day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment